Homemade Mayonnaise

by Amy on 02/22/2011

Homemade Mayonnaise

When I first thought about making mayo from scratch, I was really intimidated. But I shouldn’t have been- it’s so ridiculously super easy and tastes amazing. The first few recipes I found either used vegetable oils (like soy, cottonseed, canola, etc and they are a big no-no) or all olive oil, which I find to be a bit too strongly flavored for most applications.

So, I decided to blend both olive oil and coconut oil. This has a very pleasant taste and an added bonus- this mayo will firm up a bit in the fridge!  Homemade mayonnaise can often be a bit runny, but the coconut oil takes care of that!

Easy Homemade Mayo
by Amy Love, Real Food Whole Health

1 whole pastured egg at room temperature
1 pastured egg yolk at room temperature
1 tsp organic Dijon-style mustard
1  1/2 TBL lemon juice (freshly squeezed)
1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
1/2 cup extra virgin coconut oil (melted and cooled slightly)
Pinch or two of unrefined sea salt

In food processor, add egg, egg yolk, mustard, lemon juice and salt. Process to blend, about 30 seconds. With the processor running, add the oil (mix both in a 1 cup measure) VERY slowly, drop-by-drop, until it’s all in. The rule of thumb is to never let the stream of oil be thicker than a pencil lead.

That’s it! Taste and adjust seasonings.(More salt or lemon) Place in a glass jar with tight fitting lid. It will be runny but will firm up in the fridge. Will last about 2 weeks.

If you’d like to, you can add 1 TBL whey in the first step (before adding oil). In this case, let the finished mayo sit at room temperature for 7 hours and then place in the fridge. It will last several months this way and contains beneficial bacteria. I’ve not tried this yet, but this is how to do it! (according to the book, Nourishing Traditions)

Notes:
Optional Flavors: (add in first step, before oil)
Add some herbs- thyme, rosemary, dill, basil- all of these are amazing
Add some curry powder- super good with chicken and tuna salad
Add more lemon and lemon zest- my favorite
Add garlic- roasted, fresh or garlic powder
Add chilies- chipotle is great!
Add roasted red peppers or sundried tomatoes
Add capers and lemon zest for a quick dipping sauce perfect for fish

Quick Tip:
You can also use an immersion blender in place of a food processor. In that case, simply put all ingredients (including oil) in a wide mouth Mason jar (or glass bowl) and use the immersion blender to mix well. This may make a thicker mayo, AND you don’t have to drizzle the oil in!

{ 9 comments }

Michelle February 27, 2011 at 1:48 am

This sounds great, I will have to try it! I like that it will firm up better with the coconut oil.

Valerie H February 27, 2011 at 10:05 am

I have tried making homemade mayo a few times. No matter which oil I try, it always tastes like the oil is old. Last night I made the recipe out of Nourishing Traditions. I used sweet almond oil. The oil tasted good on its own. After I made the mayo it tasted like the oil was off. :( I haven’t tried coconut oil mix yet.

Melissa D February 27, 2011 at 3:30 pm

I have a question! I’ve never made mayo before, but I’ve wanted to for a long time and am now ready to try it. Do I *need* a food processor, or will a blender with a whole in the lid for the oil do fine?

Melissa D February 27, 2011 at 3:36 pm

*hole* not whole :)

Anjanette February 27, 2011 at 5:24 pm

Thanks! We too found that the olive oil alone was too strong. I haven’t tried coconut oil yet but will now!!

Michelle April 6, 2011 at 2:23 pm

I finally made this today and it is really wonderful! I’m amazed by the good flavor and happy that the coconut oil taste doesn’t really stand out even though it does help it set up nice! I also added whey and am excited it will last for so long!

Amy April 6, 2011 at 3:03 pm

Hi Michelle- Great!! We love this version because of the texture and flavor, too! Thanks for sharing :)

Lana January 13, 2014 at 10:39 am

This sounds great! I’ve seen many recipes of home-made mayo, but was always discouraged by its shelf life. Adding whey sounds great! Where do I get it though?

Amy January 13, 2014 at 4:26 pm

Hi Lana,

You can simply use whey you collect from draining yogurt. Take live active yogurt and drain through a cheesecloth (hang over a bowl) until you have a usable amount of whey and as a bonus, you’ll have thicker yogurt! Some farms sell whey as well, but it’s easy to collect yourself.